Hello wonderful creatures. Yesterday was magnificent!
I visited the Campbell’s Farmer’s Market in my hood and bought some wonderful things!
- Here we have some delicious green beans -the sampling man told me to eat one raw as I was walking by, I did. and I was SOLD.
- Then we’ve got some giant green onions. At least I think they’re green onions. I saw them, and I needed them.
- Below we’ve got some perfect little white and red onions. I discovered pretty much the last bin of onions in all the whole market! I think they’re going out of season soon or something.
- Bottom left there’s the most FREAKING delicious bacon I’ve ever had in my entire life. It’s sourced from Prather Ranch who focus on sourcing high quality and sustainably raised meats AKA this pig was living it’s life the way it was intended to and it therefore IS DELICIOUS. (side note-Kale+Bacon+Onions+Coconut Butter=Delicious Insanity).
- Next we have some pretty little squash blossoms. They were just too cute and I liked the idea of eating a flower (because I want to be one!). I just fried them on a skillet and put them on top of my bacon, coconut butter, kale concoction and they were GREAT! They have such a unique flavor, I’m not sure how to describe them but certainly recommend them.
- And finally we’ve got the star of the show, my grass fed ground beef. Now if you were to read that little label there on my meat package, you’d see see that it says “Pet Food” and that’s because, folks, my grass fed beef has organ meats in it! ORGAN MEATS YOU SAY? why yes my friends. Organ meats are ideal for optimum human health (especially when looking to heal your body) they’re rich in b vitamins, essentials fatty acids, iron, folate…I could go on…and one day i’ll have my own awesome post on how I incorporate organ meats into my diet, but until then, read up on the amazing benefits of them here and here from some wonderfully intelligent people. They make me feel like a SUPERHERO. Liver is the OG super food, the grandfather of goji berry-maca mumbo jumbo. The cute little butcher man tipped me off to this trick, and assured me these were okay for human consumption. These puppies also run around $2-$4 an LB. So THERE’s a sweet little paleo budget tip for all y’all. Cheap and totally nutritious.
After the Farmers’ Market I hit up Whole Foods (whole foods is my boyfriend) for some supplementary eats to my farmers market finds for the week. It was HOT and I was HUNGRY so I got THIS bad boy:
BLUEBERRIES + BANANA + KALE + SPINACH + GINGER = MY JAM
JAM (n.) -A favorite activity, food, song or thing which brings immense pleasure or borderline obsession.
This delicious little smoothie was also a farewell to fruit for a while as today was the 1st day of my 21 day sugar detox! My roomie/cousin/soul mate Sheridan and I will will be embarking on this detox journey for the second time and are excited to sort out some residual health challenges we’ve both been facing (more on that later too). We eat pretty clean as it is, as sugar doesn’t bode well for either of us (among other things), but we’re approaching this as more of a mental detox , looking to improve some of our relationships with food by weeding out our food crutches and mostly focus on the things we know will benefit us. We’re looking to strengthen our digestion and rid our routines of any other foods we feel aren’t currently benefiting our health. I wrote down our goals and posted them on our fridge for encouragement, which ends with my lil’ motto “progress not perfection”. Such a gem.
The 21 Day Sugar Detox was created by my numba’ one lady Diane Sanfillipo of Balanced Bites and it is a SOLID, health promoting, NO BULLSHIT program that I highly reccommend.
Well my sweets, I’m off to bed, but I’ll leave you all with this wonderful quote that the Universe emailed me this morning:
You know you’ve made it, when you suddenly realize that there’s nothing in the world anyone might ever give you, no matter how grand or fabulous, that you can’t give to yourself.
If you’re drinking the same Kool-Aid as me (I.E. the Kool-Aid of LOVE) I think you’ll understand what this puppy is referring too. Remember to fill yourself up with love each and every day. I strongly encourage all of you to sign up to receive these lil’ nuggets o’ wisdom too at Tut.com.
Peace out pony lovers.